In this episode we introduce American Sidney Rittenberg, 李敦白，known by the title of his 1993 book as “The Man Who Stayed Behind.” He arrived in China in his 20’s at the end of WWII and witnessed the Chinese Revolution from a front row seat.
When the US pulled out of China after the war, Sidney Rittenberg stayed behind with his dreams of contributing to the building of a new China. He remained in his adoptive country for 35 years. This episode tells his story.
TERMS FROM THIS EPISODE
- Song Qingling 宋庆龄 Madame Sun Yat-sen, one of the three Soong Sisters
- Hanyang 汉阳 One of the three cities that make up Wuhan
- Hengyang 衡阳 City in south central Hunan
- Dabie Mountains 大别山 Mountain chain in central China
- Taihang Mountains 太行山 Mountain chain running through Shanxi, Henan and Hebei
- Deng Yingchao 邓颖超 Wife of Zhou Enlai
- Kalgan 张家口 Kalgan is the Mongolian name of the present day city of Zhangjiajou.
- Kang Keqing 康克清 Wife of Marshal Zhu De
- Wang Zhen 王震 Effective military commander and later one of the 8 Immortals
- Li Xiannian 李先念 Another great military man who went on to become president of China and one of the 8 Immortals
- Ren Bishi 任弼时 Another early military leader who died a year after the founding of the PRC
- Ma Haide 马海德 Dr. George Hatem (See CGP-062)
- Lushan 庐山 Scenic place in Jiangxi province where a famous conference was held during the Great Leap Forward.
- Guanxi 关系 relation, relationship, contacts